Write powerfully. Tell sticky stories. Build content that converts. Create messages that inspire action. Writing well unlocks your ability to describe (and get) more of what you want.
Next Course: January 13, 2014 ~ February 7, 2014.
Early Bird Registration (Ends December 28, 2013): $400.
Regular Registration (Before January 10, 2014): $500.
Writing is everywhere.
Everyone is now a writer. In today's digital age, blogging and email are the primary modes of communication in business and in personal life—making writing and communication skills more important than ever.
The most powerful thing you can do in both your personal life and your business life is write well and tell great stories. Messages that persuade, content that converts, and language that influences others is the key to making change and articulating (and getting) what you want.
You can't afford to write poorly.
Writing well is the key to unlocking your ideas, to creating a business of your dreams, and to starting powerful relationships.
This four-week course will teach you about writing, storytelling, creating compelling copy, and how to write persuasively. You'll get to practice your craft, learn new writing tips and tactics, get direct feedback on your writing, and connect with other talented creatives within a private workshop format.
“Beyond writers, this is a powerful class for any communicator, storyteller, or business person. Language is how we share our ideas and inspire action. Everyone should take this course.” – Amber Rae, The Bold Academy.
"Ready to become a better writer? Sarah is my go-to gal. Check out her Writer's Workshop!"
– Tara Gentile, Business Strategist, Kickstart Labs.
"Sarah is one of the most brilliant writers that I know, so I jumped at the chance to take her writing class. I am so glad that I did. She brought my writing into uncharted territory while consistently providing unwavering inspiration and support." – Suzannah Scully, Executive Coach, Speaker and Blogger.
The Writer's Workshop: A four-week digital course.
In this four week digital course, you'll learn:
- What common mistakes most writers make and how to fix them;
- How to craft great stories--and the hidden frameworks behind great stories;
- How to cultivate your imagination and vision and unlock your inner creative;
- The art of persuasion and how to write copy that converts;
- Specific tools and templates for how to improve your copywriting in blogs, email, and other everyday communication--tools that you can use thousands of times.
"The act of starting something is powerful." - (Tweet this)
How this course got started...
Over the past three years, I've been researching the latest tips and tools in storytelling--and today I have amassed a library of over 85 books (and counting) specifically on communications and storytelling. As a communications specialist and communications consultant, my projects have included building communications infrastructure, creating internal communications initiatives, launching magazines, launching multiple blogs, taking on editorial roles, engaging in international journalism projects, and creating press campaigns for new companies.
I've taught in-person workshops at General Assembly, the World Domination Summit, and The Bold Academy; I've presented and taught at the University of Houston's Business School, the University of Virginia, and at Harvard's Graduate School of Design. Two of the workshops I teach on storytelling have consistently been sold-out classes at General Assembly and folks have asked me to expand the workshop to a longer format.
Now, the course is available online in a private, community-based workshop that you can join from anywhere. I've developed a course for people who aren't ready to go back to school yet (or can't afford a $50,000 graduate education), but still want to improve their game at work and in life.
This was my solution: a 4-week digital writing workshop with stories and exercises to practice your craft, as well as a private, shared community of colleagues to converse with and learn from. It's consistently sold out to rave reviews and is limited to a small-group format each time.
This four-week program has four modules:
Week 1: Tap Into Your Inner Muse.
- Unlock your creative potential through key exercises in visualization, imagination, and association.
- Learn how to get un-stuck, how to start writing, and how to tap into your inner creative.
- From details to introspective to understanding alternative perspectives, learning how to add imagery and color to posts will improve your writing quickly and immediately.
Week 2: Tell Sticky Stories.
- Human memory relies on stories--we remember messages that we can easily carry and share.
- Learn three frameworks for great storytelling from the experts--from Joseph Campbell's Heroes Journey to Nancy Duartes' structures on resonance.
- Use each of these frameworks to create messaging that’s relatable, sticky, and moving.
Week 3: Create Content That Converts.
- Learn how to create story frameworks for blogging, how to write a killer introduction (and thank-you note!), and the art of asking for what you want.
- Get four customizable templates for everyday communication--never have to build an email from scratch again.
Week 4: Language That Inspires Action.
- Discover influential strategies that inspire others;
- Learn how to use language to persuade, influence, and inspire others.
Course Calendar: What The Course Includes.
This course includes:
- Stories and reading delivered by email to your mailbox each week on Monday and Wednesday Morning. The readings will take about 30 minutes each day, and are curated essays, stories and ideas related to our weekly topic. (8 lessons total).
- A practical assignment delivered with the lesson for you to complete twice weekly immediately following the readings, which you'll have 1-2 days to complete during the week. (8 exercises total).
- 4 video lectures delivered each Friday that recap the week's teachings, and includes an optional bonus "play" exercise for you to enjoy. (If you get behind on the material, this is a great way to catch up).
- 2 live Q/A calls to ask ANY questions you have about writing, creativity, and our exercises. The calls will be during Week 2 and Week 4, at 8PM EST (5PM PST) on Thursdays.
In addition, you'll also get:
- An intake survey to share your work and showcase what writing or blogs you're working on and tell me a bit about your story;
- A private online forum to meet other writers and learn from each other;
- Customizable templates to use in email introductions and correspondence;
- Bonus strategies and ideas for what to do when you're stuck and how to create great writing habits;
- Bonus essay prompts for after the course to continue your writing work (4 bonus essay prompts--one for each week);
- A lifetime membership to the online forum and any updated materials, videos, and handouts posted to our shared page so that you can continue to meet and interact with new members;
You'll also receive:
- A free copy of Sarah's book, "You Should Be Heard: Essays on writing, storytelling, and sharing your voice." at the close of the course.
- 4 bonus audio interviews with thought leaders, storytellers, writers, and creatives for you to download and listen to -- and get inspired!
"Writing is essential to our creative self, our soul: write to learn and to live." - (Tweet this)
Other Notes + FAQ's
What else does the course involve?
- Each week, you'll be able to submit and post your work in our Facebook group to ask each other questions, talk about assignments, and stay on track. You can meet peer-editors and collaborators and inspire each other along the way.
- A chance to submit your writing at the end of the course to be featured as a collection of essays on a future post on this website.
- A "behind the scenes" look at my writing process and the skills, tips and tricks I use to "make it work" in my writing; how to get over the fear of publishing and how to learn habits that foster a great writing practice.
- The choice to go at your pace: while the emails will be delivered three times weekly, you have the option to select the right pace for you (although I encourage at least once per week to help set the habit). Pick what feels right for you and select your personal writing habit.
- At the end of the course: a bonus book of essays prompts and ideas: an extra set of self-guided writing prompts in a customized PDF book after the four-week course. Would I send you off into the woods alone? Nope! I'll give you more exercises for you to do at your own pace.
- If you complete all the prompts and ideas (including the bonus pack) you'll finish the workshop with at least 12 essays—enough for a year's worth of blogging!
- An enthusiastic and zany instructor whose love of writing is obvious, and who finds nothing better than creating things within the world and space we are given--from art, projects, businesses, ideas, relationships and more.
- All of this, crafted with love, design chops, and a desire to make an impact on your writing. Let me help you get started writing in this Spring Writers' Workshop.
Read what past students have said:
"Sarah was great. Very engaging, very practical. I left with pages of notes and a lot of homework, but most importantly I left inspired with new ideas that kept me up late."
"Sarah was exceptionally well-prepared and engaged our class from the start. The material was presented clearly and creatively."
“I learned far more than I ever expected—it was a personal journey, an incredible ride, and an amazing content. Working with Sarah was wonderful.”
“I didn’t realize how much I could improve my writing until I took Sarah’s class—I could take this class over and over again. I can’t wait until she teaches another course!”
"Her content is always thought-provoking and will force you to confront the challenge of executing your best ideas. She studies where great ideas come from and helps individuals and businesses do great work."
Upcoming Courses + Registration Details
- Fall 2013 Course Dates: Monday, September 16th -- Friday, October 11th -- SOLD OUT.
- Winter 2014 Course Dates: January 13th, 2014 -- February 7th.
This course is perfect for:
- People with aspiring creative writing dreams;
- Professionals looking at improving communication skills for day job;
- Bloggers who want to improve their craft;
- New writers who want to get started on a writing project;
- People with a writing practice who want to meet other like-minded people.
What you'll need:
- An inquisitive mind and a curiosity about how to improve your writing ability.
- An open-minded countenance and the ability to be kind and gentle to your peers, creating a collaborative, safe space.
- A desire to improve your craft of writing and a passion for writing, reading, or creating--and the desire to get started!
- At least 3 hours per week for coursework and one hour for the video and audio components; plan also to allow a comfortable amount of time to write a few times per week;
- A quiet, easy place to work or a place that you feel good about writing (this is not required--but helpful!) If you don't have this yet, consider finding a coffee shop or going to a library (or setting up a sign next to your computer that says "writing time" when you're writing.
- Technical details: you'll need to be able to write easily (a computer or word processor, or a notebook and pen), have access to email and Facebook, and be able to view PDFs.
We are all writers.
The idea that writing is a separate tool or skill from other skills is a myth that needs to be debunked. We should all be excellent communicators—because the more powerfully we can convey our ideas, the more we can achieve.
Improving your writing means you can improve your relationships (through better inter-personal communication), improve your work (by better describing what you do), and get what you want (by better articulating what you want).
Writing well changes everything.